WeTransfer launches Android app
Simplicity and ease of use remains at the heart of WeTransfer on Android
21 AUGUST 2014, LONDON, UK
SummaryWeTransfer’s free file-transfer app comes to Android today, enabling people to share multiple files from their Android devices with ease.
The app’s functionality takes a lead from WeTransfer’s iOS app launched earlier this year, but also debuts a number of Android-only functions. As well as letting people share up to 10GB of multiple images and videos from their device, the Android app allows users to send pretty much any file from within the operating system through the file transfer functionality.
This incredibly versatile app includes a wide range of key features, including:
- Send any file: Android users will be able to use the “share” button anywhere in the OS to send the selected file(s);
- Transfer pause/resume: If a user wishes to pause a transfer they can do so at any time and resume it when convenient to provide greater control; and
- Contacts access: To send videos and photos, people will also have the ability to use their device’s address book for easy e-mail address selection.
Additional app features include:
- Instantly send multiple images by selecting the first image and double tapping on the last to select all the items in between
- Preview an image or video by tapping and holding it down
- Find images quickly by swiping with two fingers to jump between months
- Skip to the last image in the folder by swiping with three fingers
- Transfer up to 10GB at a time for free
- Have greater transfer control by receiving notifications highlighting a switch from Wi-Fi to 3G or 4G
- Log in to your Plus account by holding down the WeTransfer logo
In typical WeTransfer fashion, there is also no sign-up process to send files. Simplicity of use, and aesthetics of the user-experience continues to be central to WeTransfer’s philosophy.
The app will also feature WeTransfer’s iconic background imagery designed specifically to fit smartphone screens, mirroring the online version.
In addition to features available to everyone, ‘Plus’ account holders will also be able to store their transfers in their 50GB cloud storage, which they can later access via the web version of the service.
"We want to make it as easy as possible for people to send multiple photos or videos to each other from their phones or tablets. Say you go on holiday with friends, head to a festival or a great party, and you all take a whole load of photos. Now you can instantly share these moments whenever you want, without losing the quality of the images, straight from your phone via WeTransfer, to the ones you shared these moments with. We’re making it as easy for people to send content they’ve created on their mobiles as it is via our website. And we’re making it a beautiful experience too. Already on iOS and now, on Android too. " Adriaan Trouwee, Head of Mobile at WeTransfer
Download PDFDownload PDF
WeTransfer is the simplest way to send your files around the world. The service was founded in 2009 in Amsterdam by Bas Beerens and Nalden, who wanted to create an easy platform for people to send big files without any sign-up. Today, 40 million active users across 195 countries transfer one billion files every month. It is WeTransfer’s mission to enable the effortless transfer of ideas from one creative mind to many. We want to help our users get in, and stay in, their creative flow – that strange and beautiful state where everything comes together and great things happen.
WeTransfer has a dual revenue model, split between advertising and premium subscriptions. With WeTransfer Plus, customers benefit from bigger transfer sizes, storage and personalization options. WeTransfer also works with the world's biggest brands, including Google, Samsung, Netflix and Squarespace, to develop and deliver beautiful, full-screen advertisements on our background wallpapers.
Since day one, WeTransfer has proudly supported the creative communities by giving away 30% of the advertising space to showcase projects we love. With WeTransfer Studios, creative partnerships have been launched with some of the world's most interesting individuals and organizations, including FKA twigs, Rankin, Anderson .Paak, McSweeney's, World Press Photo, The Royal Academy of Arts and the Ace Hotel Group. On our content platform This Works, we tell the stories behind the creative work we curate and create. WeTransfer also supports tomorrow’s creative leaders by offering free premium accounts to all arts students in the United States.
Following a $25 million investment from Highland Capital in 2015, WeTransfer opened a US office in Venice Beach, Los Angeles, to add to the Amsterdam headquarters.